Sunday, May 15, 2011

Kayaks and Fly Rods



Photos by L. Ross


It doesn't get much better than fly rods and kayaks in the spring. It is a great pastime and a good way to have some quality time alone.


A few days ago, I went to a remote pond on game management property. It does not have road access and a kayak or canoe has to be packed in to fish. It is usually worth the extra work.


I started about 7:30 a.m. and tied a medium sized popping bug onto my leader. A nice bluegill struck on the first cast and after a short battle was on the stringer. I worked along the shoreline and picked up bluegills, shellcrackers and bass. It was a nice mixed bag and will go good with some hush puppies, slaw and iced tea.


I do use bait with the fly rod for bream occasionally, but using a medium sized popping bug is better because it will also attract the random bass. You never know what to expect on the next cast.


I hope your spring is going as well as mine and you are getting onto the lakes, ponds and rivers for some action.



No comments:

Post a Comment